3 pounds sauerkraut
2 pounds ham or pork
2 bay leaves
1 ounce dried wild mushrooms -- chopped
10 black peppercorns
10 allspice berries
1/2 teaspoon salt
11 cups meat or vegetable stock (broth)
2 pounds cabbage -- chopped
2 tablespoons butter
1 pound Polish sausage -- cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 pound Polish white sausage -- cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 pound bacon -- cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup of red wine (optional)
- Rinse sauerkraut with cold water; drain well. In a large stockpot,
combine sauerkraut, ham or pork, bay leaves, mushrooms, peppercorns,
allspice and salt.
- Add 5 cups of stock. Cook, uncovered, 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Cover and simmer over low heat 45 minutes. Remove meat.
- Place cabbage in a large saucepan. Add remaining 5 cups stock and
red wine. Bring to boil.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium heat, 1 hour or until cabbage is
- Add to sauerkraut mixture. Bone cooked meat. Cut cooked meat into
- Melt butter or margarine in a large skillet. Add cooked meat,
smoked sausage and white sausage. Saute over medium heat 10 minutes
or until browned.
- Add to sauerkraut mixture. In same pan, saute bacon over medium
heat until crisp. Add to sauerkraut mixture.
- Cover; cook over low heat 1 hour or longer. Remove and discard bay
leaves. Serve hot with fresh bread. The secret of old-time Bigos is
that it gets better as it's reheated on successive days. It will
keep for about a week if stored in the refrigerator.