Carp with Cabbage and Mushrooms
One cleaned, filleted carp weighing 2-4 lbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
Dry bread crumbs
Butter and oil for frying
Cabbage and Mushroom Ingredients
1 lb sauerkraut
2-3 oz dried wild mushrooms
2 tbsps butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1 1/2 tbsps flour
Salt and pepper
1. Soak dried wild mushrooms overnight. Slice the mushrooms and reserve
them and liquid left over from the soaking
2. Cut the cleaned and scaled carp into even-sized portions and sprinkle
lightly with salt. Leave to stand for half an hour..
3. Place sauerkraut in a heavy saucepan and add one cup of water. Bring
to a boil and allow to simmer until tender.
4. Melt the butter in a frying pan and add the onion. Cook in butter
until golden brown. Sprinkle over the flour and mix thoroughly.
5. When the sauerkraut is tender, strain the cooking liquid over the
butter and onion mixture. Stir very well and bring to a boil. Cook until
thickened and add the sauerkraut, along with the sliced mushrooms and
their liquid. Stir thoroughly and set aside to keep warm.
6. Cover the carp lightly with flour, shaking off the excess.
7. Coat the carp by dipping the pieces into the beaten egg with a fork.
8. Coat the fish with the crumbs, shaking off the excess. Heat the
butter and oil together in a large frying pan until very hot. Place in
the fish and cook on both sides until golden brown.
9. Drain the fish on paper towels and serve immediately with the cabbage
and wild mushrooms.